Kristyn Ferguson and Jeff Verberne at Spencer Gorge Conservation Area, five minutes after getting engaged (Photo courtesy of Kristyn Ferguson)
Nature and the outdoors are often the setting for some the happiest and most enjoyable events in our lives. For Nature Conservancy of Canada staffer Kristyn Ferguson, a love for the outdoors has framed her relationship with her husband, even as early as their third date.
“We are truly at our happiest when we’re out in nature together,” says Kristyn. “It relaxes us both immensely. Suddenly there is nothing silly to argue about like who will wash the dishes. Our heart rates slow down as we enjoy yet another sunset together.”
Whether it's Valentine’s Day or Family Day, there are so many ways for you to fall in love with nature again and share it with your loved ones this February. Why not:
- bring your binoculars and our winter bird identification booklet on a hike or while snowshoeing and work together to identify the species you encounter;
- take photos of nature under the snow to make an e-greeting to send to loved ones;
- pack paper and crayons and make bark rubbings of trees on your route, to embellish a special Valentine’s Day card;
- borrow inspiration from the Romantics: jot down notes of your day and send that special someone a nature-inspired poem or love letter, mentioning all of the species and sights you encountered;
- get creative and build snow figures in the shape of your favourite animal;
- share the love with our furry or fuzzy creatures: make pine cone bird feeders for birds and squirrels and hang them along your route.
Take the Creative Conservation Challenge and share your creations with us!
Or, you can make a special tribute gift in honour of your loved one.
For Kristyn and Jeff, who were engaged on the edge of a cliff at Spencer Gorge Conservation Area and married at the Guelph Arboretum, nature makes any event that much more special.
“We are always grinning, squeezing hands or sneaking in big hugs during our hikes — it genuinely just makes us both so happy. I’m so glad to have found someone to love nature with.”