Chase Woods, British Columbia
Chase Woods Nature Preserve is a 40-hectre (100-acre) nature preserve located on Mt Tzouhalem in the Cowichan Valley, and includes the dramatic cliffs that offer spectacular panoramic views of Cowichan Bay and the valley beyond. Take a hike through the Chase Woods Nature Preserve with the Google Trekker Street view below.
Trail length: 4 kilometres
Hike difficulty: Moderate to difficult
Amenities on site: None
Points of interest
- Old-growth coastal Douglas-fir forest
- Panoramic views of the Cowichan Valley from the top of the cliffs
- Historic cross at top of the cliffs
Species you can look out for
Hike starting from the Mount Tzuhalem Ecological Reserve parking lot:
- From Highway One in Duncan, follow Trunk Road east to the roundabout.
- Exit onto Maple Bay Road. Turn right onto Kingsview Rd, then left on Chippewa Rd, then left on Kaspa Rd.
- Follow the gravel drive at the end of Kaspa into the Mount Tzuhalem Ecological Reserve parking lot. The trail featured in the Google Trek starts at the west end of the parking lot.
Hike starting from the church at the bottom of the mountain:
- From Highway One in Duncan, follow Trunk Road east until it turns into Tzouhalem Rd.
- Park on the side of the road by the old church (Seminaries Institutes of Religion).
- The trail begins in the lot beside the church, past the yellow gate.
888-404-8428 (toll-free in BC)
When visiting the property, please:
- Respect the wildlife and other visitors.
- Travel on designated paths only.
- Ensure that all dogs are accompanied by their owner and controlled on a leash at all times.
- Refrain from lighting fires or smoking.
- Remove your own garbage, and please pick up after your pets.
- Respect that the property does not permit the removal of any plants or animals.
All visitors to NCC properties do so at their own risk.