The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 14 million hectares (35 million acres) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
This position offers an opportunity to work for an exciting, fast-paced, successful non-profit organization and contribute to a national portfolio of engagement programs that connect Canadians with nature and land conservation. NCC’s Conservation Engagement Coordinator provides program coordination and administrative support to the NCC’s National Conservation Engagement programs, including data management, development support, internal and external communications and general program coordination and reporting.
The goal of the Conservation Engagement portfolio is to engage Canadians in NCC’s mission through participation in the Conservation Volunteers and Nature Destinations programs, as well as through special projects. The position reports to the Senior National Director of Conservation Engagement and Development, but works collaboratively across departments and regions to achieve organizational goals.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate and assist regional staff with annual development and implementation of the Conservation Volunteers and Nature Destinations programs;
- Coordinate systems and technical platforms used by conservation engagement programs, including the online Conservation Volunteers event registration system;
- Troubleshoot technical issues with the online volunteer registration platform and liaise with Information Technology and external developers to resolve issues;
- Oversee management of program webpages, including editing and uploading content using web-based applications;
- Execute communications strategies by supporting content development for website, blog, publications and social media;
- Develop templates and resources for regional program staff and lead webinars and training sessions;
- Liaise with national departments, such as National Marketing & Development and Communications to coordinate content, reporting and donor stewardship, as well as supporting regional program leads;
- Manage program data and documentation for conservation engagement programs and coordinate quarterly and annual reporting;
- Support the coordination of any special projects as needed.
General Administrative Support
- Provide administrative support for conservation engagement programs, including tracking and processing expenses, collecting and managing participant documentation, completing reporting and evaluating program impact and success.
- Support the day-to-day activities of the National Senior Director, including calendar and meeting scheduling; travel planning and arrangements; expense reimbursement and credit card reconciliations; funding proposals and reports, and other duties as required.
Required Skills and Attributes
- 2-4 years of experience in a program coordination role;
- Degree or certificate in volunteer management, public relations, communications or a related discipline;
- Demonstrates an understanding of ecological concepts and land conservation;
- Excellent data management and reporting skills. Must have a sound understanding of database/system integration;
- Experience with database software and web-based platforms, such as Raiser’s Edge, Convio, Engaging Networks and WordPress;
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to multi-task and manage requests from multiple sources;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience managing relationships with external consultants and developers;
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills able to collaborate across internal departments and diverse geographies;
- Ability to work independently on a remote team, communicate at all levels with confidence and exercise sound judgment;
- Calm systematic approach to meeting deadlines and goals;
- Financial acumen, including ability to monitor and analyze financial reports an asset;
- Non-profit experience an asset;
- Proficiency in French a strong asset.
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter and salary expectations indicating “National Conservation Engagement Coordinator” in the subject line to the Nature Conservancy of Canada via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for this position is November 24, 2019.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For positions situated in Ontario:
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.