The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
Taking care of our environment has never been more important than it is today. The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) – Alberta Region is looking for a Finance Assistant to join a team committed to protecting our most important natural areas and the plants and animals they sustain.
The Finance Assistant will play a key role in ensuring the effective administration and coordination of financial information for NCC Alberta. The Finance Assistant will work closely with all Alberta regional staff as well as the Finance Coordinator, Regional Controller, Regional Vice-President and National Finance staff. This role reports to the Finance Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive and process revenue in compliance with financial policies and procedures
- Prepare invoices in cooperation with all staff
- Manage accounts receivable to ensure collection of all expected revenue
- Serve as Alberta Region Point of Contact for insurance
- Manage utilities and assets on NCC properties
- Provide financial data and information to Alberta staff as requested
- New hire Finance Onboarding and Training (visa card requests, expense claims)
- Manage program funding and assist in reviewing eligibility and restrictions
- Distribute visa statements to card holders, receive and process claim reconciliations including personal claim reimbursements, assisting staff with completion
- Maintain filing system for NCC Alberta Finance Department
- Attend national and regional finance calls, conservation meetings, staff calls and retreats, and other meetings as required
- Other duties as may be assigned
Required Skills and Attributes
- Understanding of NCC`s conservation programs and commitment to NCC`s mission
- Proven ability to work independently, and under supervision, and as part of a team structure
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite with an emphasis on Excel as well as the ability to learn new software (Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge, Land Information Software).
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- High level of numerical accuracy and attention to details
- Flexible and able to work under pressure and ability to meet deadlines
- Understanding of non-profit operations and accounting principles
- Ability to maintain confidential or sensitive information
- Good interpersonal skills
Terms of employment
- This is a one year term position with a possibility for renewal.
- This position is full-time.
Email your resume with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 18. Please state "Finance Analyst" in the subject line.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For positions situated in Ontario:
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.