The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
The interpreter will work at NCC’s Johnson’s Mills Shorebird Interpretive Centre acting as an interpretation guide to the people who visit every summer to watch the vast flocks of shorebirds, mostly Semipalmated Sandpipers that stop to feed on the extensive mudflats found here.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Educate the public on the ecology of the mudflats and the biology of the shorebirds, stressing the importance of not disturbing the birds as they roost on the beaches at high tide, and assisting with the use of spotting scopes and binoculars to identify shorebird species;
- Conduct daily counts of shorebirds and identify species present;
- Monitor and record the presence and species of raptors in the area and the number of shorebirds preyed on;
- Perform day to day maintenance tasks at the centre and surrounding land.
Required Skills and Attributes
This posting is targeted to someone possessing the following skills and abilities:
- University or College student entering final years of study, or recent graduate in biology or related field;
- Experience in interpretation an asset (park or tourist attraction);
- Punctual, responsible, dependable, and organized;
- Able to work with little supervision;
- Bilingual (French and English) preferred;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral;
- Standard First Aid - Level C CPR first-aid certification;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Comfortable speaking in front of the general public and in a high-profile setting with regular media exposure.
Terms of Employment
- This is a full-time 12-14 week (June - September) position and will include weekend and evening shifts;
- Salary will be between $14-15/hour;
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of the employment;
- Must have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment;
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations;
Position will be based at Johnson’s Mills, approximately 30 km from Sackville/50 km from Moncton, NB, and the intern must be able to commute.
Interested applicants should forward their cover letter and resume to:
Attention: Denise Roy
In your submission email, please include the following:
- Interested applicants should forward their cover letter and resume saved together in one pdf file (named First name Last name e.g., “Bob Smith.pdf”).
Application Deadline: February 28th, 2019
No telephone calls please. Late applications will not be considered.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.