Science and Technology Internships
Gain practical experience in conservation science and mapping technology during a summer internship with the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC). Put your data management and spatial editing skills to the test to produce maps and information databases that drive our conservation work on the ground.
What does it involve?
Maude Benny, GIS Intern (Photo by NCC)
- Acquired spatial datasets and mapping products that will assist in NCC's conservation goals
- Review current and new spatial datasets as well as compiling the spatial data into geodatabases
- Provide the summer field staff with GIS and GPS support as needed
- Updated the NCC Land Information System (LIS) with new and existing conservation project information
- Help address information gaps and work with regional staff to resolve database and dataset issues
What skills do you need to apply?
- Working towards a degree in geography, geomatics, environmental science, biology, ecology or related fields
- Experience producing maps and other graphic products using ArcGIS desktop software
- Experience using spatial editing tools
- Ability to convert datasets into different formats
- Experience managing, maintaining and populating spatial databases
- Organized, with strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage timelines and expectations independently
- Experience compiling, analyzing and reviewing data to maintain data integrity
Where are these positions offered?
To view current internship opportunities, click here.
In their own words
The majority of the work I do takes place in the office, which involves documentation and organization of NCC’s Land Information System, as well as creating maps to assist with identification of ecologically significant areas.”
– Amy Nielsen, 2018 GIS and Land Information Intern, British Columbia
As an intern, I am responsible for the organization of data and computing maps that depict information regarding directions, vegetation and features found on the landscape, etc.”
– Breanna Silversides, 2018 GIS Intern, Saskatchewan