The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
As a Finance Assistant, this position will be responsible for processing of financial transactions on a timely basis. This position will also assist the Regional Controller in running day to day financial operations including data analysis for adjusting entries, prepare various project reports and assist the Regional Controller in project analysis and financial management. The Assistant will also gain familiarity with the accounting software (Financial Edge), donor database (Raisers Edge), time and billing software (Tenrox) and the Land Management System (LIS) to look up for information on specific projects and assist the Regional Controller to meet information requests from Regional and National staff. The position will report to the Regional Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Timely processing of vendor invoices, staff expense reimbursements, VISA reconciliations, and preparation of weekly submission to National office
- Responsible for maintaining of all the Finance documents.
- Work closely with Regional and National staff in coding and completion of revenue forms for funds received and uploading of any related documents to the Raisers Edge,
- Assist Regional Controller in ensuring that financial transactions comply with NCC policies and procedures, accounting standards and the CRA regulations,
- Lookup for project information in Land Management System (LIS) and assist in completion of land purchase forms,
- Assist Regional Controller in preparing adjusting entries for import into the accounting system.
- Assist Regional Controller with analysis of transactions, running queries in the accounting system, exporting and analyzing data,
- Assist Regional Controller with financial information requests from Regional and National staff,
- Assist Regional Controller in quarter end preparation of accrued liabilities, account receivables, and prepaid expenses,
- Work with Program staff and Regional Controller on annual budget preparation and monitoring,
- Training and support staff on expense claims and other finance forms,
- Assist Regional Controller in coordinating the timely submission, reviewing of monthly staff time sheets and making necessary adjustments for accuracy in coding,
- Train new staff in using the time and billing software (Tenrox) and provide ongoing support,
- Gain an understanding of various funding sources available to the organization and their utilization,
- Monitoring and administration of agricultural lease contracts for NCC properties including:
- Monitoring that the contracts are fully signed on a timely basis and invoice issued as required,
- Receiving, tracking and uploading signed agreements and invoices into Raisers Edge and Financial Edge,
- Tracking payments received and any outstanding balances,
Required Skills and Attributes
- Excellent attention to detail,
- Excellent organizational skills,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to interact with staff at all levels,
- Strong abilities to multi-task, keep ahead of deadlines and manage changing and multiple priorities,
- Strong interpersonal skills; Self-motivated, self-directed and professional,
- Team player with an ability to forecast and anticipate workloads and deadlines,
- Experienced in using MS Excel and Outlook,
- Good bookkeeping skills and general accounting knowledge with 1 to 2 years of bookkeeping experience. Experience working with charitable organizations will be considered an asset.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills as well as sound judgment, strong integrity and ethics.
Terms of Employment
- This is a full time position based in Regina
Interested applicants should apply indicating their salary expectation and noting "Finance Assistant - SK" in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 31st March 2018.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For positions situated in Ontario:
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.