The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
Taking care of our environment has never been more important than it is today. The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is looking for a Regional Controller to join a team committed to protecting our most important natural areas and the plants and animals they sustain.
The Regional Controller is a member of the NCC Ontario Management Team. The person will be responsible for the effective administration of all financial and accounting functions for the Ontario Region of the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC). This includes general accounting and bookkeeping functions, preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, budgets, and all reports required by donors and conservation funding partners, groups and individuals. The Regional Controller will be the Ontario regional liaison with the Senior Manager, Regional Finance and the National Office of NCC with respect to financial information and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure accurate financial records, activities, controls and reporting
- Supervises coding and donor allocations of expense and revenues for entry into the financial systems.
- Reviews project and program expenses to ensure compliance with donor wishes and all funding agreements, including participation in development of project budgets and preparation of related forms
- Generates invoices related to NCC Ontario legal agreements (e.g. funding agreements, lease agreements)
- Ensures compliance with organization policies and procedures
- Ensures accurate and timely tracking and reporting of all project and program-related information for major funding bodies, including government programs, foundations, conservation partners and major donors,
- Performs/supervises fund accounting to ensure expenditures and revenues are correctly allocated to projects and programs, including deferred accounts
- Coordinates, reviews and approves all time and billing entries for accuracy, consistency and compliance with source funding
- Performs regular reconciliations for balance sheet items related to the region
- Supervises and assists as needed with data entry and all other information necessary for month-end, quarter-end and years-end closing
- Ensures the accurate and timely production or regular financial statements for the Operating and other Funds, monitoring, analyzing and reviewing results, and reporting on variances.
- Ensures accuracy of financial statements and custom reports when applicable for the Regional management team and senior staff
- Coordinates and prepares audit working papers as required for regional grant and corporate reporting.
- Continuously reviews financial performance, available funding and on-going expenses and commitments for the sustainability of Regional operations.
- Ensures the appropriate draw down of funds from deferred accounts.
- This position liaises with other members of the NCC’s team in Ontario Region and in our National Offices as needed.
- Works closely with the regional management team and senior staff, to ensure regular exchange of information, such that the financial components of initiatives and matters are accurate and up to date.
- Alerts the Regional Vice President of any financial irregularities, strategic and technical matters that may or do impinge on the financial standing of the region, including, among other, unforeseen expenses, budget variances, stranded funds, and works to identify solutions to remedy the issue.
Coordination, preparation and monitoring of budgets
- Assists with the coordinated preparation of annual, program and project budgets, providing advice regarding the financial aspects of proposals, and the identification of revenue sources for expenses associated with projects and other activities.
- Takes the lead in the development of the annual regional budget and participate in business planning to ensure there is alignment and consistency.
- Ensures the proper presentation of budgets to the Regional Board, and any roll-up components. to internal and external audiences as directed by the Regional Vice President.
- Works with Program and Development teams, to correctly identify potential funding sources.
- Reviews all funding proposal budgets before submission, and create donor reports which comply with donor requirements.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Possesses or is working towards an accounting designation CPA (CGA/CMA/CA) with 3 to 5 years of experience in all accounting areas including AP, AR, Land Acquisition Purchase, Fund Accounting, Project Accounting, and Financial Statement Analysis.
- Knowledgeable of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and Canada Revenue Agency charitable regulations.
- Ability to excel in a service-oriented work environment and to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Excellent mathematical skills and numerical accuracy.
- Familiarity with Blackbaud Financial Edge accounting software would be a definite asset.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple and changing priorities and work to deadlines.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills with the proven ability to supervise staff.
- Has a “can do” personality with experience working within a flexible schedule, including occasional weekends and evenings.
- Commitment to the core values and mission statement of NCC and to maintaining a strong team environment both within the Region and with National staff.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and ability to maintain confidential or sensitive information
The salary range for this position is $71,857 to $89,760, commensurate with experience.
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. If you are interested in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter and salary expectations indicating “Regional Controller - ON” in the subject line to the Nature Conservancy of Canada via email: email@example.com no later than 5:00pm EST on Friday, June 28th, 2019.
Thank you for your interest in the NCC.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For positions situated in Ontario:
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.