The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962 NCC and its supporters have protected 2.8 million acres (more than 1.1 million hectares) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description
The Regional Controller is a member of the NCC Québec Management Team. The person will be responsible for the effective administration of all financial and accounting functions for the Québec Region of the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC). This includes general accounting and bookkeeping functions, preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, budgets and variances, and all reports required by donors and conservation funding partners, groups and individuals. The Regional Controller will be the Québec regional liaison with the Senior Manager, Regional Finance and the National Office of NCC with respect to financial information and reporting.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises coding and donor allocations of expense and revenues for entry into the financial systems, namely the Raisers Edge and the Financial Edge systems.
- Reviews project and program expenses to ensure compliance with donor wishes and all funding agreements
- Ensures accurate and timely tracking and reporting of all project and program-related information for major funding bodies.
- Performs/supervises fund accounting to ensure expenditures and revenues are correctly allocated to projects and programs, including Deferred Accounts
- Supervises and assists as needed with data entry and all other information necessary for month-end and years-end closing
- Ensures the accurate and timely production or regular financial statements for the Operating and other Funds, monitoring, analyzing and reviewing results, and reporting on variances.
- Prepares financial statements and reports for the Quebec Regional Board quarterly meetings and national management, as needed.
- Assists with the preparation of audit working papers for program and project audits
- Ensures the appropriate draw down of funds from deferred accounts
- Alerts the Regional Vice President of any financial irregularities or strategic and technical matters that may or do impinge on the financial standing of the region, including, among other, Accounts Payable, unforeseen expenses, budget variances, stranded funds, and work to identify solutions to remedy the issue.
- Assists management with the coordinated preparation of annual, program and project budgets, providing advice regarding the financial aspects of proposals, and the identification of revenue sources for expenses associated with projects and other activities.
- Reviews all funding proposal budgets before submission, and create donor reports which Reviews all agreements, financial commitments and contracts to be issued by the region before finalization
- Other duties as assigned by the Regional Vice President, the Senior Manager, Regional Finance or the CFO.
Required Skills and Attributes
- Possesses or is working towards an accounting designation CPA (CGA/CMA/CA) with a minimum of 5 years of experience in all accounting areas including AP, AR, Land Purchase, Fund Accounting, Projects Accounting, and Financial Statement Analysis
- Knowledgeable with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Able to reconcile accounts on the balance sheet monthly
- Familiarity with Backbaud Financial Edge accounting software would be a definite asset
- Knowledgeable with Canada Revenue Agency charitable regulations
- Proven ability to supervise auxiliary staff
- Commitment to the core values and mission statement of NCC
- Commitment to maintaining a strong team environment both within the Region and with National staff
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both English and French
- Strong interpersonal skills
If you are interested in joining our team, please forward your resume and cover letter, in both English and in French, indicating Regional Controller - Québec Region in the subject line to the Nature Conservancy of Canada, via email: email@example.com. Please include the following in your cover letter
Final date for submitting your candidacy: January 31th, 2019.
We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For positions situated in Ontario:
At the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) we strive to promote diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
NCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, we will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.