Goldie Feldman Nature Reserve, Happy Valley Forest, Ontario
Just an hour outside of Toronto lies an unexpectedly tranquil green space: Happy Valley Forest, the largest remaining intact forest of its kind on the Oak Ridges Moraine. Over the years, the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) has protected 298 hectares (737 acres) in the heart of King Township. In the midst of surrounding development, protecting this forest helps ensure it can become a true old-growth forest and continue to provide habitat for species that rely on it.
From mature forest, ridges, meadows to wooded wetlands, Happy Valley Forest offers a diversity of topography and scenery to satisfy nature lovers of all ages. This property also features NCC’s first fully accessible trail in Canada! The 770-metre trail and parking lot with accessible spaces are built to AODA standards. This trail includes two loops, one through a meadow and one through the forest, to provide different experiences and options for visitors.
Trail length: 2.5 kms (Goldie Feldman Nature Reserve)
Hike difficulty: Easy to moderate
Accessible trail surface: firm and gravel
Accessible trail width: 1.5 to 1.8 metres wide
Accessible parking: one van accessible parking and one regular accessible parking space. We will be updating this page to include maximum grade, average grade, etc. in 2022 as the newly created accessible trail settles.
Amenities on-site: There are no amenities on-site.
Points of interest
- mature forest on the Oak Ridges Moraine
- headwater streams of Lake Simcoe and Lake Ontario
- lookout point and lowland boardwalk
Species to look out for
- scarlet tanager
- red-shouldered hawk
- white-tailed deer
- wood thrush
- red-spotted newt
1. Head north on Highway 400 toward exit 43 for Regional Road 11/King Road toward Noblelton/King City.
2. Keep left at the fork and follow signs for King Road West and turn left at King Road/Regional Road 11.
3. Take the first right onto Weston Road/Regional Road 56 (signs for Weston Road).
4. Turn left at Sideroad 17.
5. Goldie Feldman Nature Reserve is on the left (south) side of the road at 4093 17th Sideroad
Visitors can call 1-877-231-3552 or email email@example.com to inquire about the trails and access points at Happy Valley Forest.
Visitors are welcome to visit the Happy Valley Forest and experience its incredible natural beauty. The Oak Ridges Moraine Trail runs through the forest, and several of NCC’s properties also feature hiking trails. The nature reserve is privately owned and managed by NCC. When visiting the property, please:
- Travel on designated paths only.
- Be considerate and respect the wildlife and other visitors.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Keep pets on a leash at all times.
- Refrain from lighting fires or smoking.
Other trail safety considerations:
- Visitors to NCC properties do so at their own risk.
- Trails are open year-round, unless otherwise signed.
- Trail conditions vary seasonally and winter conditions can be icy.
- Poison ivy is very prevalent in some areas.
- Black-legged ticks are present.
- Cell phone reception is poor.
If you would like to support trail maintenance and upgrades, click here.