Darkwoods, British Columbia
Most NCC properties are now open to the public. Please respect physical distancing when visiting our natural areas, and consult our website for site-specific updates. Learn more >
Darkwoods has a long history of use by local communities. Since the 1960s, the public has been allowed limited access to the property with a permit, and NCC is happy to continue that tradition and even expand those opportunities. At the same time, the land cannot support all uses, at all times, in all places and retain its special character. Some reasonable limits are required.
Outdoor activities allowed on the property include hiking, fishing and skiing. All visitors must have a permit to access Darkwoods. To obtain a permit, please contact the Canadian Rockies Program office at 250-342-5521 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Permits are free.
Darkwoods is an unmaintained wilderness area open to the public from July through September. Permits are required for entry and no camping is allowed.
All roads require 4WD, and due to industrial truck activity on the roads during the work week, recreational truck access is allowed only on weekends on the main roads.
Trails: There are very few trails on Darkwoods, so hiking often requires route finding in challenging terrain.
Hike difficulty: Moderate to difficult
Amenities on-site: None
Points of interest
- sub-alpine meadows
- rare old-growth forests
- serene valley bottoms
- productive creeks
- lakefront lands
Species you can look out for
- bull trout
- Canada lynx
- grizzly bear
- western skink
- western screech owl
- Darkwoods is located approximately 45 minutes south of Nelson, 45 minutes west of Creston and 20 minutes east of Salmo.
- Access directions will be provided once a permit is issued.
All visitors to NCC properties do so at their own risk.
When visiting the property, please:
- Respect the wildlife and other visitors.
- Travel on designated paths only.
- Ensure that all dogs are accompanied by their owner and controlled on a leash at all times.
- Refrain from lighting fires or smoking.
- Remove your own garbage and please pick up after your pets.
- Respect that the property does not permit the removal of any plants or animals.
- The use of on- or off-road vehicles, the building of fires, trapping, cutting of firewood and dogs are prohibited.