Maddox Cove, Newfoundland and Labrador
Most NCC properties are now open to the public. Please respect physical distancing when visiting our natural areas, and consult our website for site-specific updates. Learn more >
NCC’s Maddox Cove property is located along Newfoundland’s spectacular East Coast Trail, a 540-kilometre-long, world-class coastal hike over rugged mountains and through protected coves. Amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean, as well as the picturesque villages of Maddox Cove and Petty Harbour, await.
Enjoy the salt air and sounds of songbirds as you wind along the trail through conifer forests and open areas of tall grasses, raspberries and wildflowers. Visit in May and June and you might see icebergs, and whales can be spotted from June to August. Still feeling keen and full of energy? The hiking trail continues past the NCC property on to a national historic site, Cape Spear Lighthouse.
Trail length: 9 kilometres (approximately 250 metres pass through an NCC property)
Hike difficulty: Easy (on NCC property where it’s flat, more challenging if hikers continue along the East Coast Trail)
Amenities on-site: None (facilities and services available in nearby town of Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove)
Points of interest
- The trail is elevated, with panoramic and stunning views of harbours, coastal cliffs and the Atlantic Ocean.
- The award-winning East Coast Trail passes through an NCC property on the way to famous Cape Spear.
Species you can look out for
- bald eagles
- humpback whales
- northern wild raisin
- wild rose
- yellow-rumped warblers
- From St John’s, go southwest on Water Street, turn left onto Black Head Road, then right onto Maddox Cove Road.
- Park at the beach in Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove (East Coast Trail parking is marked).
- Trail is about 500 metres northeast of the parking lot.
NCC’s St John’s Office: 709-753-5540
All visitors to NCC properties do so at their own risk.
When visiting the property, please:
- Respect the wildlife and other visitors.
- Travel on designated paths only.
- Ensure that all dogs are accompanied by their owner and controlled on a leash at all times.
- Refrain from lighting fires or smoking.
- Remove your own garbage and pick up after your pets.
- Respect that the property does not permit the removal of any plants or animals.