Green Wedding Tips
Wedding couple at Algonquin Park, ON (Photo by Kevin Steingard, Steingard Photography Barrie)
There are lots of ways to green your wedding. Here are just a few suggestions:
- Ask your guests for charitable donations to NCC as a wedding gift! Many couples tying the knot already live together and don’t need the typical housing start-up gifts that were once common. Why not ask your guests to donate to NCC
- Instead of traditional wedding favours, make a tribute gift to NCC in your guests’ honour - This favour will ensure that sensitive habitat is conserved forever, giving your guests a sense of pride and reminding them how important it is to take care of our environment. This tribute gift is waste-free and has a positive ecological footprint.
- Use native flowers in bouquets and on tables – this reduces the transportation and environmental costs of exotic flowers and supports local growers.
- Use local, organic food for your wedding celebration – this reduces the overall environmental impact and supports local farmers.
- Serve local and organic wine and beer – this supports local wineries and micro-breweries.
- Rent – so much can be rented from vases to accessories, washable cutlery and dishes, to suits and gowns, including the bride’s dress. This avoids waste and keeps costs lower.
- Dresses – If renting doesn’t appeal, consider a vintage or pre-owned dress and ask your bridesmaids to wear a favorite from their own closet.
- Invitations – Choose your paper from sustainable sources like treeless or recycled paper, or reduce costs and waste considerably by sending Evites.
- Venue – Choose a central location so guest travel is cut down and consider having the ceremony and reception at the same venue.