Highlights of 2021 in Ontario
Vidal Bay, Manitoulin Island, ON (Photo by Striking Balance)
Thanks to your support, we are celebrating another successful year of conservation in the Ontario Region!
• Nine acquisition projects were completed in Ontario this past year, protecting nearly 8,700 hectares of land valued at over $17.7 million!
• Now protected for the long term, Vidal Bay Forests and Shoreline is one of NCC’s largest single property acquisitions in Ontario at 7,608 hectares. It contributes to a protected area complex of more than 248 square kilometres of forests, wetlands, and shorelines — the largest area of its kind south of the Canadian Shield in Ontario.
• 40 property stewards contributed over 850 hours to help monitor properties, remove garbage, install signage and trail markers, manage invasive species and conduct other essential work.
• We transformed some of our popular in-person annual events into a virtual format, engaging over 3,900 participants in 70 events across the province.
• 22 interns joined us across Ontario. They grew their skills through controlling invasive species, restoring habitat, monitoring properties, maintaining trails and boardwalks, assisting with GIS mapping and conducting biological inventories of NCC properties.
Click below to read the full report: