Nature writing prompts to spark creativity and connection
Connecting with nature can come in many forms. For some, it may be taking a walk and listening to the rustling of leaves, or the crunching of snow underfoot. For others, a creative outlet like art, music and rhythmic movement allows them to experience nature more closely.
I like to reflect on how I’ve nurtured my connection with nature through writing. Often, nature happens right under my nose and writing in a journal allows me to savour the moment and find delight every time I reread my work.
Whether it’s encountering a teeny spider on the windowsill or stumbling upon a bee dozing inside a squash’s flower, there is nature’s magic and awe to be found. And the more I think about how and why a moment in nature was meaningful and endearing, the more descriptive my written account is.
Roots of an old American beech tree at Clear Creek Forest (Photo by NCC)
If you’d like to flex your writing muscles and relive your nature experiences in new ways, here are 10 writing prompts to get your creative juices flowing. See how far you get in 10 minutes on any one prompt. Perhaps even consider making this a regular habit as your one-on-one time with nature.
Connecting with nature in a multitude of ways can inspire all of us to act with intention and make a positive impact on nature at every turn we take.
- Write a eulogy for a majestic tree that stood for decades.
- Compose the first communication transmitted back to Earth after a successful human expedition to another planet.
- Finish this sentence: The scent of freshly bloomed flowers reminds me of...
- A forest sprite grants you three tiny wishes to interact with nature's wonders. What are they, and how do you use them to connect with the environment around you?
- An undercover botanist is about to study your local flora and fauna. Write instructions on how to observe and protect the delicate balance of nature.
- Write your life story in five sentences, emphasizing your profound connection with the wilderness and how it has shaped your outlook on life and personal growth.
- Complete this sentence: "I really ought to spend more time exploring …."
- Find a photo of a serene landscape and write about the sounds of nature, the scent of the air and the unseen wildlife that might inhabit the area beyond the frame.
- Pick a place in North America that you've never been to and describe your yearning to move there and immerse yourself in its beautiful landscapes.
- If you were given one extra hour today and you weren't allowed to use it for anything you'd normally do (e.g., eat, sleep, scroll on your phone, watch TV etc.), how would you spend that hour connecting with nature?