9 ways to green your holiday
Here at the Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC), we’re gearing up for an eco-friendly holiday, so we thought we’d share some of our favourite tips on how to “green” your holiday celebrations.
- Bring a reusable bag when heading out to the store for some holiday shopping.
- Make unique and recyclable gift tags by reusing the fronts of old holiday cards.
- Wrap your gifts in recyclable materials such as magazine ads, old maps, newspaper, or in reusable items such as cloth bags, scarves or tablecloths.
- Save used wrapping paper for next year or use it to store delicate holiday decorations.
- Use a potted spruce or evergreen if a tree is a holiday tradition in your family; they can be planted in the garden later.
- Decorate with everyday foods such as cranberries, popcorn, nuts and fruit, which can be fed to birds or composted after the holidays.
- Make your own gifts: paintings, knitted or crocheted items, jams, preserves or baked goods. Your recipient will appreciate the time and effort put into their gift.
- Give “experience gifts” like tickets to the local theatre, a concert or sports event or gift certificates to local restaurants or spas.
- Donate to a charity in someone’s name. NCC’s Gifts of Canadian Nature are unique symbolic gifts of habitat, perfect for the nature lover on your list. Help NCC protect Canadian habitat today!